Sunday, January 13, 2008

Passing and Improving Speed on the Run Back


Gratuitous "Inflatodog" design from my store -------->


We pushed The Spoiled One (aka Magic Inflatodog and The One Who Will Not Be Passed) and he actually let another dog pass him - WhooHoo! There had been several practices where he ran last, with no opportunities to practice blocking the other dog. The passing dog was a tough little cattle dog and I threw a ball and screamed at him to help entice Spoiled One to continue past the finish line. Next weekend's tournament should be interesting. . .


Weasel Puppy is doing the down and back, hitting the box properly, getting the ball, bringing it all the way back. She's not being distracted by people playing with tennis balls or excited puppies on the sidelines. The issue is she is lollygagging. Not on the way down - she speeds down to the box, but sort of hangs onto the box, watching the other dog, then sort of cantering back. I only got a 5.1 out of her, and I think she's a lot faster than that. She's ignoring the tug, or treats, and she just wants to go again and again and again. I am hoping a fast dog in the other lane at the tournament will spark her up a bit. We'll practice recalls and tug games this week to help with drive. Maybe I should make her a new tug, just for the tournament?


We had someone drop from the team. They were running a dog for someone else, so we still have the dog, just not the handler. I may be running that dog, which is a fast one, so I may not get to run Spoiled One much. I'll probably be completely worn out stressing over Weasel's first tournament, though. Maybe I'll pack energy drinks, chocolate, and wine. That way, I can boost my energy, console my spirit and drown my sorrows! Too bad they all have calories. Oh, well. It was a thought. Why do we do this again? Oh, yeah. We're hoping to win a stuffed toy the dogs will destroy in under a minute.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home