Monday, December 24, 2007

Animal Shelters Are Empty




There was an article in the Albuquerque Journal today "Animal Shelters Are Empty - 500 Dogs and Cats Have Found Homes" For background information, Albuquerque animal shelters have a high euthanasia rate. When they run the reports in the newspaper, "adopted" vs "euthanised" is way too close of a race.




Now, I know there are asterisks and qualifications on it, and some will bounce right back into the shelters, but when I look at my Spoiled One, who came from the Yamhill County Dog Control, or Weasel, who I found at Albuquerque Eastside, or my two cats, who came from Evergreen Doe Humane Society, or my brother's two ancient little dogs who came from rescue or were found wondering and never claimed, or my parents little Scottie and my sister's Aussie in California, that came from the SPCA, when I think of 500 unique, special animals just like them that weren't euthanised this weekend as they were likely to be, I cried. It was just a nice Christmas Eve warm fuzzy. I am happy to know that the "Home 4 the Holidays" event was so resoundingly successful.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home